We believe that high standards of corporate responsibility generally make good business sense and have the potential to protect and enhance investment returns. We are committed to embedding ESG (environmental, social governance) principles within our organisation, in line with expectations we place on investments. We are a signatory to the Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI), an investor initiative in partnership with the UNEP Finance Initiative and the UN Global Compact, and we support the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals through our investment policies and daily business operations.
We are committed to considering material ESG issues during due diligence and in the monitoring of portfolio investments. Our investment team conducts a negative (avoidance) initial screening as part of its due diligence process.
As an FCA-regulated company, we do not invest in any countries that are considered high-risk by the FATF for money laundering, bribery and terrorist financing.
Our ESG goals
- Consider environmental, public health, safety, and social issues associated with target companies when evaluating whether to provide financing solutions
- Be accessible to, and engage with, relevant stakeholders
- Use governance structures that provide appropriate levels of oversight in the areas of audit, risk management, and potential conflicts of interest
- Remain committed to compliance with applicable national, state, and local labour laws in the countries in which SCIO invests; support the payment of competitive wages and benefits to employees; provide a safe and healthy workplace in conformance with national and local law; and, consistent with applicable law, respect the rights of employees to decide whether or not to join a union and engage in collective bargaining
- Respect the human rights of those affected by SCIO’s investment activities and seek to confirm that SCIO does not invest in companies that utilise child or forced labour or maintain discriminatory policies